|This page is about the beverage. For the game by Oddworld Inhabitants, see Oddworld: Soulstorm.|
SoulStorm Brew is a highly addictive, non-alcoholic energy drink produced by the Glukkons at SoulStorm Brewery. They can be found either in open crates or in a SoulStorm vendo with a limited set amount available. Two of its notable ingredients are ground-up bones and Mudokon tears. In Abe's Exoddus, a major plot twist was about its ingredients, while in Soulstorm it is about its effects.
Effects on Mudokons
SoulStorm Brew is highly addictive to Mudokons. Drinking as little as a few bottles is enough for a Mudokon to become dependent upon the drink. The Glukkons use this side effect in enticing Mudokons to work for them, making them dependent on the drink and promising more as long as they are willing to work.
Drinking too much of the brew will cause Mudokons to become ill and unwilling to listen to reason or orders. In the case of Abe, it also makes his farts highly explosive and able to be possessed. It's currently unknown how SoulStorm Brew affects other species on Oddworld.
SoulStorm Brew illness may be cured with the spiritual power given to Abe by the Three Weirdos. It comes in the form of a chest tattoo and, when charged, allows Abe to instantly heal sick Mudokons in a radius around him by chanting. After the events in Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, Alf has taken it upon himself to run a rehab clinic where addicted Mudokons can support each other and get rid of their addiction.
Soulstorm Brew was invented by the Brewmaster of Soulstorm Brewery to achieve three main goals:
- To keep Mudokons dependent of their Glukkon bosses by keeping them addicted to an easily manufacturable substance.
- To increase worker efficiency through the use of strength and endurance enhancing chemicals.
- To make any escapees die of withdrawal to limit controversies rising from the escaped Mudokons finding non-slave societies that buy Magog goods.
Experimentation with Bone Powder, Mudokons tears, a variety of other chemicals, arcane alchemy and a large number of dead Mudokon tester produced a drink that fulfilled all three requirements. The drink became so successful that eventually all of the facilities on Mudos became directly connected to Soulstorm Brewery via pipelines.
Splashy, sticky, very tasty and highly flammable. Soulstorm Brew will help you get the party started and then help you burn down the venue when you've had enough.”— Description of the Brew Bottle.
Tried and tested over decades, Soulstorm Brew became a beverage that every labourer on Mudos got used to drinking. Some labourers even collected the caps off of their brews. Since Brew was delivered via pipelines, most facilities re-use the same set of glass bottles over and over again, providing the workers with a small bonus if they recycle their bottles.
When Abe and his followers escapeed Rupture Farms, they did so with a large supply of Brews that let them unwittingly escape escape the threat of withdrawal. However, in their panic to escape the Monsaic Sanctum after Necrum forces discovered the hide-out, they discovered that Soulstorm Brew is incredibly flammable, which Abe used extensively throughout his journey to set Slig patrols alight. Abe also discovered that when mixed with detergent, the Brew could be turned into a surprisingly effective Smoke Screen, even more so if extra Bone Powder was added. He also discovered how to turn the Brew into Molotovs and even how to turn a fire extinguisher into a flamethrower by using Brew instead of foam.
The addiction and cardio-vascualar failure induced by Soustorm brew can be cured with an antidote made from Paramould, Moongrass, Meetlebat Venom, Sleech Guano, and Haggut Moss. While Abe only crafted enough for small doses while in Sorrow Valley, the ultimate goal of the game is to consolidate enough ingredients for the whole continent and mix them into Soulstorm Brew to distribute an antidote to everyone throughout Mudos, as the piplines pump brew, and therefore the antidote, to all industrialist activities.
- "SoulStorm" was the original working title for Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. The re-imagining of Abe's Exoddus also carries the name Oddworld: Soulstorm. Notably, the second capitalized S is omitted in the game title.
- Although not seen in Abe's Exoddus, Abe does develop a dependency on SoulStorm Brew and even has to go through rehab because of it according to Alf.
- One of the original concept logos for SoulStorm Brew can be found at Alf's bar in Alf's Escape.
- The way the Glukkons entice the Mudokons to work by getting them addicted is very similar to the use of child soldiers in Sierra Leone during the 1990's. Children would be kidnapped and given drugs to make them dependent on their kidnappers and force them to fight.
- It's suggested that SoulStorm Brew can be made with any kind of bone, not specifically Mudokon bones. In his press conference about the bone shortage, Director Phleg blames the shortage on the destruction of both RuptureFarms and Necrum Mines, indicating that the animal bones left over by RuptureFarms were likely used as well. The amounts of bone powder seen in Bonewerkz would indicate nothing short of mass Mudokon genocide if this wasn't the case.
- Blitz packers use canned SoulStorm Brew as ammunition, which either suggests that SoulStorm Brewery survived to some extent or that it was forced to use low grade non-Mudokon bones. Either way, it suggests clearly that these cans of SoulStorm Brew are of such low quality that they were only useful as weapons.
- Crates and bottles of the brew can be seen throughout New 'n' Tasty, and it's mentioned that Soulstorm Brew addiction was the 'insurance' that the Glukkons used to prevent escapees or uprisings.
- Lorne Lanning Q&A Feb. 2019 - "Soulstorm is an energy drink. Non-alcoholic, but much more addictive."