This article contains information that isn't properly cited and has not been verified.
If you have a source for the information in this article, please add a reference.
Scrab Cakes have long served as one of RuptureFarms' flagship products. Processed from native Scrab meat and advertised as "delicious and nutritious", Scrab Cakes are exported all over Mudos and possibly elsewhere too.
Product[edit | edit source]
Scrab cakes are magenta cakes with yellow icing and a green interior, at least according to the advertisement. Much like other Rupture Farms products, there are sweet in taste, despite their meat origins. According to Slig dialog in reaction to hearing Abe's footsteps, but not seeing him, Scrab cakes may have minor hallucinogenic properties.
Origin[edit | edit source]
It is unknown why Mullock thought up the idea to used a highly aggressive predator as an ingredient for a tasty treat, but it worked. Scrab cakes saw immense success after its initial introduction, to the point where it became one of the company's flagship products. Consumers across Oddworld loved the product, despite it's high price.
Advertisement[edit | edit source]
Scrab cakes are most often advertised through the standard poster. This features a green coloured scab smiling while standing on top of a scrab cake. The main slogan for Scrab cakes is 'Delicious and Nutritious', however, late into the lifespan of the product, a new slogan was introducted: 'Scrab cakes! Mm Mmmm! That'll cost you an arm and a leg'. This was used on the Magog on the March news program and on the message boards throughout Necrum Mines.
Beyond Mudos[edit | edit source]
Scrab cakes were spread beyond Mudos. Nolybab saw great success, as the product claimed the biscuit status, which exempt it from VAT. It's suggested that the commercial spokesperson for RuptureFarms, in the Fegas region, had successfully introduced Scrab Cakes onto store shelves.
Business Failure[edit | edit source]
Late in its life, Scrab cakes suffered a decrease in sales. Nolybab declared Scrab cakes to no longer be cakes, giving the product VAT, increasing the price and decreasing sales. The Fegas operation had gone south due to the salesperson getting distracted by gambling. What was worse for Molluck, recent Scrab hunts had seen a 25%/31% reduction in yield, and production of the treats was slowing. It was estimated that the product would experience a critical failure within 23 days of their Annual Board Meeting, which would have severely hindered the company's stocks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Scrab Cakes are named after crab cakes, a snack that contains crab meat.
- The Scrab shown in the advertisement portrays it as being green in colour, likely to differentiate the Scrab from the similarly red Meech and avoid confusion for their consumers.
- The Nolybab cake and taxation debacle referenced Jaffa Cakes, a type of confectionary sold in the United Kingdom which is classified as a cake for taxation purposes.
- Although Scrab Cakes were once a popular tasty treat in the Mongo Valley, the introduction of game hunting, spearheaded by Sekto, has caused a significant reduction in sales.
- With his recent acquisition of the Necrum Mines, it appears Molluck had attempted to introduce Scrab Cakes into the region, but due to the lack of stable residents, there was no major demand.